The safest way to enjoy fireworks is to attend a public fireworks show put on by professionals. However, if you plan on handling fireworks at home follow these tips:
- Check to see if it is legal in your area to have personal use of fireworks
- Keep a supply of water or a portable fire extinguisher nearby as a precaution
- Only light fireworks on the ground and in areas that are dry and fire resistant.
- Never point or throw a firework or sparkler at people, animals, vehicles, or flammable materials
- Small children should not handle fireworks nor sparklers
Light It Up
- Propane and charcoal BBQ grills should only be used outdoors.
- The grill should be placed away from the home or deck railings, and out from under leaves and overhanging branches.
- Use the long-handled tools specially made for cooking on the grill to keep the chef safe.
- Children and pets should be at least three feet away from the grill area.
- Keep your grill clean by removing grease and fat buildup from the grates and trays below.
- Never leave your grill unattended.
Sea’s The Day
It’s hot out there and many people turn to water to beat the heat. Whether you go to a pool, lake, beach or other bodies of water, makes sure to take proper precautions.
- Be alert for local weather conditions and check for warning signs or flags posted
- Have young or inexperienced swimmers wear approved life jackets
- Don’t dive headfirst into any water and walk carefully into open waters
- Watch out for aquatic life; avoid patches of plants and leave animals alone
- If participating in any boating activity, review safe boating practices and rules
- Drinks lots of water to stay hydrated
- Use sunscreen and reapply throughout the day to protect your skin
- Have a first aid kit close by at all times
- Drive safe!
The Fourth of July is the perfect day to relax and be with friends and family. It is easy to get excited during the celebration and overlook the risks associated with the day’s activities. However, taking the time to implement safe practices will ensure you have a fun day!
At Nova Medical Centers we specialize in Occupational Health. From our superb services to our convenient electronic systems, we provide instant, personalized care for employees who have suffered work-related injuries. With over 48 facilities across Texas, Georgia, Tennessee, and Indiana, we strive to provide the best care for America’s workforce.
Written by Andrea Araujo