For you and your patient’s safety
In our everyday lives, we keep daily reminders, to-do lists and calendar appointments to help us focus on our important tasks. Similarly, as healthcare professionals, we need to keep a daily checklist to remind us to stay compliant. Compliance should be a top priority.
Here are three important compliance “TO-DOs” that will keep you compliant all year round:
1. Secure Your Computers
- Use the CTRL+ALT+DELETE function to lock your computer every time you step away from your desk for an extended period
- Use a unique password to access your computer. A strong password is the 1st line of defense to securing PHI
- If you use any type of electronic portable device, make sure it is encrypted to protect PHI.
2. Workplace Security
- Always wear your employee badge
- Always make sure that all exit doors are closed to safeguard access to PHI and for the safety of patients and employees
- Avoid “Tailgating” by letting an individual without an employee badge into the facility or area where sensitive information and PHI is maintained
- If you see an individual without an ID badge attempting to access the facility or an area with sensitive information, always confirm their identity or alert a supervisor
3. Secure PHI in any form
- Do Not Send PHI by email (unless encrypted), text or social media
- Do Not put PHI in your trash, ONLY use a secure shred bin to dispose of PHI
- Do Not fax/scan PHI without a cover sheet. The cover sheet should contain the company’s approved confidentiality statement
- Do Not leave PHI unattended on your desk or in your work area. Always clear your work area and lock-up PHI and confidential information.
Curious what OSHA has to say? Check it out here: OSHA Compliance
The privacy of our patients is a paramount concern of Nova Medical Centers and is critical to the continued success of our organization.
Our commitment is to keep PHI safe and secure at all times.