Culture of Health (COH) is a workplace environment in which employee health improvement is supported and promoted through worksite health and well-being programs including benefits and environmental support. This program is to not only encourage individual behavioral change but also to reduce the common stressors in the workplace that have negative take home effects on health behavior.
Work is an important part of life; something that is necessary for the financial stability of an individual. Implementing a culture of health would not only be a long term beneficial improvement among workers but also to the employer. In fact, an employer will receive a very high return on investment for example,
- Lower insurance costs- the CDC state that healthy employees spend less out-of-pocket on health-related expenses and so do their employers. Employees in good health present a lower insurance risk which translates into lower insurance costs.
- Improving employee engagement- employees perceive the company as caring for their well-being
- Heightened job satisfaction- the promotion of health and well-being results in greater employee engagement, satisfaction, and trust.
- Boosting morale- better health means happy and more energetic productive workers.
- Fewer absences- chances of being sick are less to none, reducing the number of sick days and time spent away from work
Culture of health is not only about implementing a set of rules but understanding the big picture and leading by example. First, you must understand your organization. Knowing people’s motivation, needs and preferences are important in making sure they all get the message and are motivated to engage in healthier behaviors. The goal is to discover the best practices for each given workplace environment. To be effective, workplace wellness programs need to be intertwined into the structure of the organization.
According to the RAND Employer Survey, employers overwhelmingly expressed confidence that workplace wellness programs reduce medical cost, absenteeism, and health-related productivity losses. For further support, partnering with an expert in this area will help move you move from contemplation into action. Organizations such as Cigna helps employers build the framework to implement such a culture. Creating a strong COH in the workplace is a very important addition which often translates into greater profits, happier clients and improved overall workplace rankings.
At Nova Medical Centers, we solely focus on occupational health. We pride ourselves in delivering exceptional services and helping our clients prioritize their health and safety needs. Contact us for more information about any of our services. Our skilled and friendly staff members are ready to meet all your occupational health needs.