Knowing the risks and prevention
It is officially American Heart Month! Are you taking care of the most important muscle in your body? Unfortunately, 610,000 people die of heart disease a year and 735,000 Americans suffer from a heart attack. It isn’t too late to get on the track towards a healthy, happy heart. Listed are a few tips and information about heart disease that you need to protect yourself.
- Be aware
- According to the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, coronary heart disease is the main form of heart disease. It is a disorder of the blood vessels of the heart that can lead to heart attack.
- Heart disease is a lifelong condition that once you get, you will always have
- Get active
- Incorporating physical activity into your daily routine will help strengthen your heart
- Physical activity helps lower your blood pressure
- Staying active improves your blood flow
- Prevents bone loss which can lead to osteoporosis
- Control your food intake
- Controlling your cholesterol is extremely important because if you have a low amount of bad cholesterol (LDL) there’s a reduced chance of clogged arteries which will eventually lead to a heart attack
- Eating healthy foods such as vegetables, fruits, legumes, dairy, and seafood (if applicable) will help to control weight, blood pressure, blood sugar, and cholesterol
AHA says: “The biggest part of living healthy comes down to simply making healthy choices. While you can’t change things like age and family history, the good news is that even modest changes to your diet and lifestyle can improve your heart health and lower your risk by as much as 80 percent.”
There are many ways to ensure that your heart is healthy. Heart disease and heart attacks are serious and can affect any one of us. Your well-being is the most important thing to consider when it comes to preventing it.
At Nova Medical Centers we specialize in Occupational Health. From our outstanding services to our convenient electronic systems, we provide the best care for employees who need our help the most. We are proud to say that we host corporate health and wellness fairs to bring awareness to health-related problems that can hinder functionality at work. We have over 48 facilities across Texas, Georgia, Tennessee and Indiana; we strive to provide the best care for America’s workforce. Feel free to contact Nova Medical Centers with any questions or comments that you may have.
Written by Monique Adenaike